Thursday, August 9, 2012

Another Happy Customer!

Good Morning!

Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood!

I received a text message from one of my students this morning after I arrived home from work.  Some photos saved to a memory card that had been taken months ago was found.  She had taken the photos for me, I didn't have my camera, of a commissioned sweater I had knit last year. 

A friend from church had given my name to a co - worker.  After a meeting with clients, it was decided that they would look for a pattern they liked then come back to the yarn shop where I worked, Amazing Threads at the time.  This is the cover of the pattern booklet they brought:


If you notice, the cost of the pattern is $.65!  There is no date in the pattern booklet, but it is No. 119.
The sweater that was chosen is the cover photo.  So, now I am a little cautious.  After looking at the pattern, the men's sizing only goes to a 38" chest.   After measuring a favorite sweater, my client is a 47".  Fortunately he had a sweater with set in sleeves, the pattern is a saddle shoulder.

OK, I accepted the challenge.  The re - size wasn't too bad as the boarders on either side of the center motifs would be able to accept a few more inches without any major issues.  The same with the sleeves, I just added to the waffle looking stitches on either side of center.  The problem was the saddle and the neckline.  They took a might more fussing.

The smart thing that I did do, was keep the client's sweater to use for measuring.  It was summer and he wouldn't be wearing it til fall.  So with lots of careful measuring, I was able to justify the depth of the armhole with the saddle, where it came together with the neckline and then the overall neckline.

The pattern instructions had been written for flat knitting.  I usually change that to knit in the round, but the one thing I have found is that knitting for others, you really need more places for adjustments.  No matter how carefully you measure and then knit, something usually needs to be addressed.  In this case, he wanted the bottom of the body to be taken in just slightly.  If this had been knit in the round it would have been more difficult to adjust.  I cast on using a ribbed cast on with Cascade 220 wool.

When they came to pick up the sweater after final adjustments, my student took these pictures:


Another happy customer!  I would have liked the saddles to come a little lower on the front and back, but didn't change that due to not wanting them to be unhappy and have to rip and re - knit.  By the way, all those little "Vees" are created by baubles!

All's well that ends well!  Enjoy the rest of your day and Happy Knitting!









No comments:

Post a Comment