Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lesson Learned

Good Afternoon,

During knitting class yesterday, someone said there are two seasons in New York.  Winter and Construction.  Which, brings me to my topic today. 

During "Construction" season it's a good idea to keep small projects handy when traveling.  You don't even have to go far.  On my way to class yesterday, the main route into Saugerties is being prepared for paving.  As you can imagine, moving at a snails pace, and then.....stopped.  It felt like 30 minutes when in reality was only 10 minutes.

My reality is that the knitting was packed  up and unreachable.  So annoying.  I have always thought of moments such as these as free knitting time.  You don't have to budget your time, write it in your planner, wait til whenever, it's just plain and simple free knitting time.

About ten years ago, the routes that I was traveling to and from work caused me to cross the railroad tracks every day.  This line is notorious for back ups, stops and two trains, one in either direction.  and of course, on train is usually one stopped while the other continues.  I knit a 60" chenille scarf complete with fringe, in a 2 X 2 rib, on size US 1 needles.  It took me months of train stops, but the point is, any small uncomplicated project can be set aside for just those occasions.

When I go for a walk, if it isn't too hot, I will bring my knitting along.  Today was OK to do that except when the sun came out, then it was too hot and my hands started to sweat.  But living near the Hudson River, it only takes a few minutes of that incoming tidal breeze to cool off again.


I knit in the grocery store.  At some point, I have to stand in a long slow moving or non moving line.  Mittens, socks or some such small thing can be thrown in your bag to be pulled out to save the sanity.  Not only that, if you are Knit Shop owner, or Knitting Teacher, such as I, it is a great way to advertise with out paying for the ads.  It's just your regular trip to the food store, bank, or wherever.

Have a great rest of your day and take your knitting along!

P.S.  Most of those free knitting places are air conditioned too, so being hot outside doesn't count except if you are walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment