Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pattern Complete

Good Afternoon,

Today was the last pattern update to be completed.  The Petal Face Cloth has been emailed to Matt, matt@yerkesphoto.com.  He is my photographer, web designer, and printer. I would not be able to work without him, thanks Matt!

I had emailed the pattern yesterday, but forgot to add the link for the technique video.  Fortunately adding the video link and resending only took a few minutes and then email it on to Matt. 

The video is Emily Ocher's Circular Cast On.  When researching for my pattern details, that was the one element that I knew that I wanted.  I had taken a class on this technique years ago when knitting from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac.  The directions in the Appendix on page 141 does have a couple of diagrams and a description.  This was included in the book to knit the Pi Shawl on page 71 for the month of July.  Ironic that I designed the face cloth in July as well.  The cast on is unique in that there are crocheted stitches into a ring that are then divided and placed on double point needles.  A little fiddly but well worth the effort to learn.

Sketching and drawing are not my strong suits, so the video was created to give a visual of the cast on.  My students seem to work much better when a visual is provided for them, so I thought it might be helpful for you as well. 

This is one of the patterns that will be going to the L.A. County Fair, sold in kit form as well as a finished product.  Not being there in person, the video is the next best thing to being able to teach the cast on.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnQi2DrdG0jIxOZp1SeKebQ?feature=guide

Give it a try.  It is a great way to begin anything circular; doily, wash cloth, table cloth, blanket, shawl, and the list is only as short as your imagination.  The best part of the cast on is that it can be tightened so there is to tell tale hole in the center.  All it takes is a tug of the yarn tail to close it up. 

I hope you enjoy it and find in helpful.  Have a great rest of the afternoon and.....

Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment