Wednesday, May 30, 2012

More About JT and Me


School has been out of session for the Memorial Day Holiday as well as the use of the last few unused snow days. It remains to be seen whether JT will be interested in the "knitting box" or Elmo on my iPad. At his age of 2-1/2, things change so rapidly it is hard to keep up.

Looking back on this past winter, I made a hat for JT's brother, Mason. It was a simple design that used kitchener stitch to close the top, and pom poms on the corners. I made it in navy blue and off white. His mother, my daughter, loved it so much, she asked me to make one for JT too. A few days later JT's hat was finished.

A few weeks later, my daughter was getting the boys ready to go out. She asked JT to get the "Wiggle Hats" out of the basket in the hall way. I loved the name and asked where it came from. My daughter said that JT had named the hats, I should have guessed. Hence, the "Wiggle Hat" was born.

So many times, while in conversation with JT or watching Mason play, ideas for new knitting projects begin to form. You just never know where the next stitch pattern, color pattern, or design will come from. Be aware of all things around us. Let the scents, colors, and nature's patterns wash over our senses. That special mix of nature can lead to some surprising results.

Now, walk through your favorite yarn shop, one of mine is yarnandtea.com. Bring with you "nature's mix" and pull together fiber, color, and your favorite pair of needles. Check out the patterns a available, or design your own. Spend some time with your swatches. That is the best way to become aquatinted with your new fiber choice. Swatch for gauge and stitch pattern. If you choose a pattern from the shop, don't be afraid to add some of you to it. Be courageous. Make it yours.

I am now at my daughter's house with my various bags. Mornin' boys! JT comes to help carry them into the kitchen and the fun begins. Hugs and kisses sprinkled with giggles and laughter. Now, that's my kind of day! Soon Mason will be down for his nap and JT and I can get down to our knitting business.

Hope you all had a great Holiday Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment