Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Student on My Mind


Good Morning,

Sunny and warm today and near 90 again.  But, there is a nice breeze right now, so only have windows open and no A/C on yet.

As I was taking my walk after work this morning, I work 12am to 8am shift, I was thinking about a topic for today.  My thoughts centered on one of my students.  She stopped by yesterday to pick up some socks that she was working on.  She knitting from one of my patterns for a sport type sock with a short row heel.

My student was having difficulty with the concept and we had discussed it this past Saturday when she came to class.  I know knitting on size US 2 Double Point needles are definitely not her needles of choice to begin with.  Maybe that combined with the sight learning curve is what stumped her. 

 In any case, this is  a rush project for her Dad, so I agreed to knit the heels so she could continue knitting the foot and the toe decreases, which she will have no problem with. I had to un - knit what she had already knit and begin again.  I also do not work short rows with the wrap and turn method.  I use yarn overs to execute the short rows.


Teaching, mentoring, and problem solving, is some of my favorite things to do.  I love it when I can see the sparkle in their eyes and the smiles that say "I got it!"  I try to encourage them to do as much as they can on their own, but in a case such as this, we will get another chance to work short row heels this time with worsted weight yarn and larger needles.

I would love to help you with a knitting problem or learning a new technique.  Even if you live too far away to attend a "live" class, we can certainly meet up on Skype or FaceTime.  Send me an email at dee@youandmeknit.com or drop me a line in the comment box at the bottom of the page.

I wish you all a wonderful July 4th.  I hope it is restful, stress - less, and give a thought to why we celebrate July 4th.  See you on Thursday, God Bless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment