Friday, July 6, 2012

New Book to be Released

Good Morning!

Hot again!  Makes me wonder what the Dog Days of August will bring?

Yesterday in my email I received a wonderful surprise from Knitting Daily, knittingdaily.com.  There is a new book out that will be released for sale in August.  It is one of a collection of works that I have already pre-ordered. 

OK, that said, let me ask you this.  Do you like to do sweater finishing?  Maybe those are the UFOs lurking in the back of the closet or under the bed.  Well, the solution has arrived.  Well, two solutions really. 
  1. New Book:  The Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters by Ann Budd!
  2. I do sweater finishing, and quite well.  I will provide a list of very satisfied knitters upon request.
Now, #1. is very true.  I was so excited when I read the news, I did pre-order.  There are many wonderful designs including seamless yoke, raglan, set-in sleeve (yes, you did read that correctly), and saddle-shoulder.  If you remember, Ann Budd also authored The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns and The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns both books are multi sized and are based on gauge.  That means that you have kids to adult sizes for every pattern in her books.  Her new book will be formated the same way.

I am sure you are all familiar with Elizabeth Zimmermann and her "EPS" system.  If you are not, well read up, here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Zimmermann that will give you some information on this "Grandmother" of knitting.  It was in EZ's books that I learned seamless knitting using her "EPS" system and the seamless yoke style.

Knitting Pure and Simple patterns by Diane Soucy is a great source for top down knitting, seamlessly.  The patterns are most notably raglan shaped and so uncomplicated that I have taught beginning knitters to use these patterns.

The style of sweater in Ann Budd's new book that I am most  interested is the set-in sleeve design.  The sleeve caps are shaped using short rows and the sweater is begun from the neck down at the shoulders.  "The set-in style is particularly well suited for close-fitting variations, which can be enhanced through hourglass waist shaping."

My book is ordered and now the wait begins.  In the mean time, we can work on finishing those garments that need to be completed.  Pull them out, pass the word, it's time to get the finishing work completed.  First the mattress stitched seams, then the collars, hoods, and then the button bands.  I can teach you how to do this, or I can finish it for you.  My rates are very reasonable.

Put a comment in the box below if you like what you are reading, request a knitting topic, or would like to discuss a particular technique.  Or, you may email me at dee@youandmeknit.com to set up an appointment for me to help you with a knitting dilemma. 

Have a great day and Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment