Thursday, June 21, 2012

Calling All New Sock Knitters

Good Morning!

Hot and steamy again, with heat advisory precautions on the news.  Here is a perfect way to stay hydrated:  knit a row/round, take a drink of water.  Knit a row/round, take a drink of water.  The hydration question is now covered.

Kidding aside, thought I would talk about socks.  If you have never worn hand knit socks, please give it a try.  The heels and toes are not as scary as you would think.  If you break those areas down round by round, and only focus on that round, it just isn't over whelming

I started knitting my own socks when my toes became sensitive to those machine stitched seams that would cause blisters.  For awhile, I wore the socks inside out with the seam away from my skin.  That did work, but when I took a sock class I haven't worn ready made socks since. 

My favorites in the warm weather are sport socks, you know, the ones that the cuff comes just below the ankle and then a short row heel.  I have made so many, that when I need new ones, I just cast on and go.  My needle preference is for a 12" long circular needle, available from Addi Turbo.  I have used all the methods, and like this one the best.  Try all of them, double points, two socks at a time, two circular needles or one long, long circular needle.

The other thing that has to be decided is cuff down or toe up.  Each has its particular advantages.  Try them both.  Then there is the heel choices:  heel flap, short rows, after thought and more.  Decisions, decisions.  But with all the choices, you are able to make a perfectly customized sock just for you.  Oh, don't forget the tops or cuffs if you want a longer cuff.  They come in plain ribs, twisted ribs, cables, lace, knee high, mid calf, ankle...you name it! 

When teaching a sock class, I like top or cuff down.  The students make both cuffs and then we go into the heel shaping on both socks.  That way there is more concentrated practice than doing one complete sock at a time.  Then they knit merrily on down to the toe shaping on both socks before working the decreases.  Again, this is so they are done together, increasing proficiency.  Lastly, there is the Kitchener Stitch closing of the toe.  No seams here to cause blisters or discomfort. 

What a great project for the warm weather months.  There is no hot pile of knitting on your lap, and the yarn is usually a fingering weight, so it is easy to manage.  Check out a sock class at your LYS today or if you are accomplished "book learner"  there are so many great books out there to choose from.

Here's a secret that I will share with you.  Most all socks are based on the cast on number of stitches.  The heel is worked over one half of the total cast on, so place your marker and keep it on the needle with its placement at either the toe or heel which ever way you choose to start.  I like to designate this placement as the bottom of the foot.  If it remains a constant in that place, you will always know your parts of the whole; heel, foot, and toe.

Grab your needles, yarn and get started today!  Happy Knitting!

Leave a comment if you need some assistance, I would love to help you get started.





No comments:

Post a Comment