Monday, June 11, 2012

Knitting Tip


Good Morning!

I hope you all had a great weekend, I know I did.  I took a class at yarnandteashop.com which was fantastic.  I haven't taken a class for quite awhile, but I must say, if you haven't, find one and spend a great couple of hours.

What I find is that I may not really need the class for the learning per se, but it is all the "unadvertised" wonderful things that you learn that you can't put a price tag  on.  And then, there is the meeting of new friends who share your passion and usually on more than one level. 

What I mean by that is, there are all levels of knitters, even if the class is for, say, intermediate to advanced.  All of us have knowledge of our craft that is freely shared.  How awesome is that!  I used to work in the food industry, and one thing I found out is that information is not always enthusiastically shared.

Here is one tip that I learned and want to pass along.  Copy and paste this or take notes.  It is so simple I don't know why I haven't heard of it before.  Let me give you just a little background.  The project was a French Beret knit in fingering weight handspun, hand dyed yarn, which the instructor, Mariepaule, prepared for us (check out cheltenhamcottage on Etsy).  If you have ever cast on firmly using fingering weight yarn, getting the cast on over the join on a circular needle can be a major headache.

Cast your stitches on a double point needle the same size.  Then begin the first round transferring stitches to your circular needle. Make sure there are no twists in your knitting and join as usual.  I couldn't believe what a pleasure this was instead of struggling. 

Now you can pull out all your fingering weight projects, cast on and get knitting!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment