Monday, June 18, 2012

Learn, Knit, Read, Learn


Good Morning and Happy Monday

A little cloudy today and maybe some rain.  JT is having his snack of cheese crackers and water. He likes to self serve the water from the bubbler.  He's getting so big!

I would like to share today the importance of classes and reading.  As you know, I am a long time knitter and teach classes, both drop in and project.  When class schedules come up either in my LYS (yarnandteashop.com) or on line or maybe even at another location, I seem to have conflicts.  Working, family, etc., etc,.  All are legitimate reasons NOT to take a class.   BUT, look at what we are missing out on:

  • Making new friends.
  • Learning a new technique
  • Experiencing a new fiber that you might not have been familiar with.

Even as an instructor, I was amazed, at my recent attendance in class, new or different ways of doing the same things I have done for years.  I signed up for a French Beret class at yarnandteashop.com, taught by a local designer, spinner and dyer, Mariepaule Rossier. (www.etsy.com/shop/cheltenhamcottage). Instructor, Mariepaule, will also be teaching at the NY State Sheep and Wool Festival in October on the 20th and 21st, sheepandwool.com. She will also be participating in a local Sheep to Shawl Competition, I will update with location and time.  Her contribution is the spinning of the warp, which is the length wise fiber on the loom.  There are several teams that participate.  A weaver, spinners, carders, all working together to complete the finished shawl project which is also designed, by someone from the team, for this competition.  If you have never seen one, and are at a fair or festival, please stop by the wool room for times.  It's quite an experience!

As you can see, the conversation is not limited to just the project at hand, but also the wealth of information to file away for later use.  I have also signed up for a couple of classes and a knit along at www.craftsy.com.  There is a treasure trove of information out there, it's just a matter of inserting your questions in your favorite browser, asking at your LYS or share your question on your favorite social media site.  Someone who knows someone who knows someone will have many suggestions for where you will find an answer.  You area always free to contact me at youandmeknit.com as well.  If I do not have a ready answer, I will find it for you and help in any way I can.

The other medium is always books.  Your local library is a great source of information in  hard cover or in a magazine.  My favorite author, is Elizabeth Zimmerman, who I feel is the Grandmother of Knitting.  Her books and those of her daughter, Meg Swanson, are informational as well as entertaining.  Not only do you learn how, but you also get an insight into the family as well.  In my opinion, these books are a must read for every knitter.  Then check out the other designers.  There are so many new ideas and designs and new twists on past ideas and designs. 

Take a class, read a book or magazine,  the learning is limitless!  Happy Knitting and Learning!


No comments:

Post a Comment