Friday, June 8, 2012

What's in a Hat? Another Hat!

Good Morning!

The photos you are seeing is an old design but a recent knit.  The hats are really one with two designs.  It is great for kids, seeing as how they love to change up their colors and designs depending on  what they are wearing.  I wish as an adult I had that same abandon....stripes with prints, plaids with paisley, two different socks; no thought at all about someone else's opinion.  Just when did we lose that anyway?

The hat was started with a crocheted provisional cast on, just above where the ribbing goes.  Knit your hat in the usual way, this one was done on circular needles.  Finish as normal and add whatever "topping" you would like.  In this case I used a pom pom, for the first one on the needles.

Then came the embellishment.  I love to use lazy daisies, they are so girlie.  No offense guys.  Now, pick up the stitches from the provisional cast on and knit the ribbing.  Then knit the other hat.  Once you decrease the top of the hat, you won't easily be able  to add embellishments, so I like to use this hat for interesting stitches and color work.  It does make for a great contrast between the two.  I finished this one with an I-Cord pig tail.  So much fun!

The pattern will be finished soon and will be available on my site.  Just click on the "Pattern" button.
Hats have been a special passion for me for many years.  My very first design while in Jr. High School, now called Middle School, was a hat knit without the benefit of a pattern.  It was a 2 X 2 rib and was able to figure out the decreases.  Hats are quick knits and great for using up bits of yarn in your stash to make room for more stash. 


I hope you all have a great weekend!  Pick up those needles and get knitting.  Remember!  Christmas is only six months away!  Did I say that!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment