Thursday, June 28, 2012

Scribble Lace Pashmina Cowl

Good Morning!

Hot and humid day today as across most of the USA. 

I just finished a Pashmina Cashmere Cowl.  It was knit in a free form lace style that I found in the Interweave Knits Magazine, Summer, 2011.  The sweater is titled, Coral Cardigan by Nancy Eiseman (page 26).  I love this sweater, but was a bit unsure of the lace.  I read the pattern just to study the lace construction before attempting the sweater. 

What captured my attention was the free form type of stitch, you can make it your very own and use the pattern for the shaping and the rest of the schematic numbers.  However, I would, as a knitting teacher, advise to swatch carefully to aquire your gauge. (My students really don't like to hear me harp on gauge, but....I do anyway).

The "lace" is formed by stringing together increases, decreases, and  plain knit stitches every other row/round.  For my cowl, I used some graph paper and charted out the stitches.  Once complete, I added a total of 14 rounds.  I wanted to use a repeat instead of charting out the entire round for the cowl.  It worked perfectly when I swatched.  I really wasn't worried about gauge at this point, but needle size.  What needle size would really make this work? 

I did tweek the chart some just to make the "lace" meander just a little bit more, but all in all, most of it remained as I originally charted.  So, I cast on and began.  I did an edging the first few rounds, expecting some type of curl to happen.  Then I began the "lace".  Every other round was plain knit for the 14 round total.

I knit until I reached eight inches in width and then bound off, using a very stretchy bind off so that it would be slightly wider than the cast on.  The wider side would now lay more smoothly at the shoulder line. 

I am going to get my Cowl from the sink, it's soaking right now, and lay it out to dry.  I can't wait to see it pinned out and dry.  If anyone is interested, will be posting it on Etsy.  Drop a comment in the box below or email me at dee@youandmeknit.com.  The first 10 people to respond will get the pattern FREE as soon as it is printed. 

Have a great day and stay cool.  Turn up the A/C and knit away!

No comments:

Post a Comment